Monday 23 March 2015

Week 5: Grid Layouts

This post is part of my Visual Design module online portfolio





In class this week we experimented with grid layouts, creating grids and 'breaking the grid'. The task set was to work in groups to create a 'house style' for the magazine then worked individually with separate content in order to produce the overall magazine sticking to the agreed style.

My group decided on a 3 column grid layout as it we believed it was more appealing to the eye and allowed the text to be big enough to easily read. We decided to use century gothic for the font as it an easy font to read it is a fun font yet isn't too playful that it distracts the reader. We used size 12 for the main text, again so it was easy to read and too large that it took over the page. For the headline we again used century gothic in order to keep the style coherent. For the size we agreed that we would fit the headline to the page, therefore each of our font size would be different but the style would be the same. I think our house style was pretty safe and we could have been a little more adventurers as the design we agreed was very traditional for magazines.

I made the third column on the second page blue in order to break up the page and so their would appear less text which would appeal to the reader. I am not very happy with the style of this magazine layout. If I were to do it again I would break the grid more - especially with the quotes. The page is very boring and could be a lot more exciting considering the story is a nice story. I would also find some more images to use. This is something I can bear in mind for production days and the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...