Thursday 5 February 2015

Week 1: A taste of the street art in Digbeth

This post is part of my Visual Design module online portfolio.  


Eastside (unbeknown to be) is actually the creative quarter of Birmingham and hosts some of the best graffiti art and artwork around. As part of my Visual Design workshop today we walked down to The Custard Factory and Digbeth to explore what there is in terms of art and visual design. You only have to walk down one street and your blown away with colours, with ideas and with inspiration. Digbeth recently held the City of Colours festival, a street art event where over 100 artists turn the dull streets into a sea of colour. The event is taking place again this year, if you are interested you can find out more here.



Whilst walking down the streets this particular painting caught my eye especially. 



In this painting I see a young girl dreaming and hoping, I see her looking up into the sky as if she is looking into the future and dreaming of a better place. This work portrays the deep feelings of the artist (Carleen De Sozer). From the painting we can understand that the artist is dreaming of a brighter future, of better things as portrayed by her looking up as if to the brightness of the sky. Behind her is the dark shadowing of darker colours - this represents the past, her troubles and her previous life. 

Different shapes and colours are used to create textures for in the painting. The '3D' effect of the falling petals and leaves creates the vision that the leaves are falling in 3D and coming out at us as the audience. This effect is due to the shapes and angles used by the artist, she does this to involve the audience in her work and make us feel like we are present in the painting, by doing this the audience can understand the painting from an inside perspective not just as an audience member. The artist predominantly uses bright colours: purples, pinks and greens. However there is a contrast with the darker colours towards the right of the image and the black shadowing behind the lady's head. The range of colours used could represent the theme of the festival - The City of Colours. 

This painting makes me feel as though I too should put my past behind me and concentrate on the future. I too should think about my own aspirations and focus on them, I should put the darkness in my life behind me. I think Carleen, the artist created this piece to give inspiration to other artists at the festival in Digbeth and to give hope to unknown artists and beginners. I think she is trying to tell them to stay focused, look to the future and do not concentrate on the dark shadows that are the past.

I think this painting is very engaging. The work made myself and my fellow classmates stop and look, it has made me come to many conclusions about the artist and her life, circumstances and decisions behind the work. The work makes me feel inspired and hopeful for the future, it has made me think a little bit deeper. 

You can find out more about the artist herself at her website: http://www.carleendesozer.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...