Thursday 19 June 2014

Thoughts on a Thursday #1 // 'Growing up'

Growing Up

Today I had my last exam and officially finished my A-Levels, therefore technically I've finished school completely. I know that we are still classed as students until the end of the academic year blah blah, but nonetheless I'm free. I could have potentially finished education forever, depending how well I turn out to do in my exams. This is the beginning of the rest of my life, without sounding dramatic, it really is true. I am no longer in the scheme of having to be educated, it is now my choice - I could go to Uni, I could travel, I could get a job. The world is my oyster. 

Half of me feels accomplished, happy, stress-free, the other half, anxious and apprehensive. This summer is going to be so very good, I have so many good things lined up and I am so excited. However depending on what happens on the 14th August(Results Day) could shape my whole life. I feel very excited for the future, obviously it is daunting. There are many decisions that will have to made, huge watts of responsibility on my shoulders but I am surrounded by very positive people and I have a huge support system in place. Therefore as scary as the future is, I embrace it with open arms. 

Growing up is a confusing idea for me, as at 18 years old, I am considered 'Grown up'. I'm mature, I have a job, I have a car, I can vote, I can get married and therefore I am an adult. I think I am quite mature, and I can understand why 18 is the age of adolescence. I know my own mind and I know what is right and wrong, I know what is fair and unfair. However I do still sometimes get it wrong, sometimes I do feel as though I could have done better, I've maybe gone about something the wrong way. As a child, I assumed adults and grown ups were all very clued up, always knew what to do and would always be kind and helpful. I would look at girls in the years above me at school, and couldn't wait to be like them, couldn't wait to know myself and have it all figured out. I've now realised that this is not the case at all, everybody is human. It doesn't matter what age we are, we all make mistakes, we all have different views and we all have different ideas.

Life is a scary thing, but it is an amazing thing. It is the most incredible journey, and to think we are still in the first stages of life, still teenagers, thats even better. We really do have our whole lives ahead of us and we still have the chance to be whatever we want to be. When I think about how much i've learnt in the past 2 years, it's so exciting to think what i'll learn in the next 2 years, and the 2 years after that. We are all still growing, at no age do we stop growing, at no age do we stop learning. Life is full of growing up and of realising who we are and who we're supposed to be and I cannot wait for the rest of my life!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...