Thursday 11 June 2015

Weekend away in Sunny Devon

Last weekend was Exeter University's open day and my younger sister went to look around (she is currently deciding what Uni's to apply to). As Exeter is a good few hours away from us we decided to make a weekend of it and I went with my Mom and Molly(my younger sister) to Devon for the weekend. The open day was on the Saturday so we headed down on Friday afternoon and came back Sunday afternoon. 

First stop: Exmouth. Exmouth is about half an hour away from the city of Exeter and we stayed here on the Friday night. This beach town is absolutely beautiful, so peaceful and not as touristy as other beach locations in England. Even though the beach was quiet and still, the restaurant's were busy and full. Originally we were hoping to have fish & chips on the beach(oh, so typically British) but it was very chilly(again, typical) so we couldn't. The pub we ended up in had an amazing atmosphere, it was absolutely buzzing with people and luckily we found a table right in the window overlooking the sea, as our hearts were set on fish and chips I was over the moon when I saw it on the menu, and all three of us had the same. It was delicious and well worth the wait! Our hotel was right on the sea front as well so luckily we had the same sea-view for our full English the following morning.

   
After 'trekking' around the University all day we checked into our second hotel of the weekend, which was in the city centre of Exeter. We had heard a few people mention 'The Quay' whilst at the Uni so we decided to head there for our evening meal. It was about a 20 minute walk - this sounded worse when the lady in the hotel told us than it actually was, the walk was all along the canal and was very scenic. We ate in a restaurant called 'Samuel Jones' which was, again, full of people and had an amazing atmosphere. As it was a beautiful weekend there was so many people sitting outside overlooking the canal as well as almost every table full inside. I decided upon 'River Exe Muscles' as we were sitting overlooking the River Exe it seemed fitting, they were absolutely delicious. For pudding I had a raspberry and lemon trifle(I think it was called that) but it was definitely up there with the best dessert's I have ever had, I would 100% recommend this restaurant if your ever at The Quay. 

 



On the Sunday we walked back into the city centre again for a mooch around the shops and a little explore before heading home. We ended up joining some tour group for an hour-long tour of the city(gay, but actually pretty interesting) and then walked around the shops before heading home. I can't stress how impressed I was by Exeter city, it was so lovely and I definitely will be returning and secretly hope Molly ends up there so I can visit her there (although I'd rather her stay at home). 


 


Have any of you been to Exeter? What are your thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...